Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Review: Behind The Scenes by Kathryn White

Title: Behind The Scenes
Author: Kathryn White
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Release Date: March 31st 2013
Find on: GoodreadsAmazonBook Depository

Book Description: Catlin Ryan is determined to escape her dreary life in a beachside caravan park. Abandoned by her alcoholic mother, she dreams of a life on the stage and is prepared to work hard to get it. So when she is offered a starring role on her favourite television series, Catlin does not think twice about taking it.

But fame comes with a set of new challenges, long hours, spoiled and demanding colleagues, the paparazzi, some wild parties and Tom, the bitter director who seems to hate her. Then there is the reunion with her father, a brooding retired police officer, who offers her board and lodgings inside a house that is haunted with dark family secrets. Who is Catlin Ryan, really? Why does she keep remembering things that she knows never really happened? Can Catlin reconcile with her past and keep her family secrets out of the tabloids, or is the world destined to know what goes on behind the scenes?


Detailed Review: <<review copy provided by the author herself>>

I wasn't quite sure about what I should write as I am not into well, contemporary fiction. But I will do my best. 

I think the story was bending more to New Adult rather than Young Adult...relatively it was not as entertaining for me. But of course this doesn't mean that the book is not good. I mean, other people have their own opinions whereas I didn't really like it. 

The story was fine; it had a good outline about what the worst life style was. I really liked Catlin's humorous nature where she critiqued her not-so beautiful life with her so called fiancĂ©e Johnny. Catlin really had a long run where she uniquely thought about her runaway mother. 

Kathryn White (the author) wrote a really good book in terms of projecting Catlin's hatred towards her previous life in a dumpster and how significantly the story took a turn into the glamorous life of the main character. 

The main char of the story didn't strike me but I think there's more connection which definitely tells us about how Catlin's life story became as it is today. Secretly I wished there was more excitement in the story (more action) haha but of course the story is already targeting a more serious audience? Well, for one, I'm not so sure about this story... 

Putting aside that, the writing was really detailed but impactful. It wasn't the writing that made me bored but the story itself or perhaps the genre that's been shown. The writing of the author was quite fast-paced and it did have some exciting scenes but other times it felt really dead

I probably sound harsh about Behind The Scenes but if I have to say so myself...

I didn't feel the "oophm" that most YA books guaranteed. OK, perhaps this book isn't even in the genre for YA but it was noted down. 


Brief Review: New Adult...not for me. I had to say Behind The Scenes was not really my forte and rather it had a good run. But the narration of Catlin Ryan was quite individually fulfilling and it definitely covered the holes in which made the story slightly dull. 

My Rating: 2/5  "It's OK"










Your Reviewer:

No comments:

Post a Comment