Monday, September 2, 2013

ARC Review: Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein

Rose Under FireTitle: Rose Under Fire
Author: Elizabeth Wein
Release Date: 10th September 2013
Publisher: Miramax
Find on: Goodreads

Quick Review: While flying an Allied fighter plane from Paris to England, American ATA pilot and amateur poet, Rose Justice, is captured by the Nazis and sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious women's concentration camp. Trapped in horrific circumstances, Rose finds hope in the impossible through the loyalty, bravery and friendship of her fellow prisoners. But will that be enough to endure the fate that’s in store for her?

Elizabeth Wein, author of the critically-acclaimed and best-selling Code Name Verity, delivers another stunning WWII thriller. The unforgettable story of Rose Justice is forged from heart-wrenching courage, resolve, and the slim, bright chance of survival.


Detailed Review: I believe Elizabeth has done it perfectly. She has done what many others have done, and promised that she did her best, which she did and succeeded, since her voice rings one of the loudest in my mind.

TELL THE WORLD.


The only book that I can think of, which rivals Rose Under Fire, is The Book Thief. But that's all.

This is my first taste of Elizabeth Wein, and already I love her. I missed Code Name Verity but this novel, Rose Under Fire, made up for the loss. I felt that one book, ONE book, just one was enough to describe the suffering during the second world war. And being a history student, this book seems even more daunting to me, because of the fact that everything in this book HAS happened. It is REAL. It is TRUE. To think that people suffered like how Rose did was, unbelievable. 


Rose was a great heroine. She was brave, though sometimes a bit reluctant to do things. She stands for what is right and cares for her friends and family more than she cares herself. This selflessness makes her more appealing to me.

Another character I grew to love was also a girl named Rose, or Roza, because of how she is always so brave and never, not even once, cowered against the people who took away her freedom. Even if she did, she never showed weakeness. She is a symbol in the book, A symbol of how the concentration camps had tortured and changed people. She made a great secondary character, supporting Rose all the way.

The story itself was intense, and I felt for the characters and truly mourned for them when some of them made sacrifices they shouldn't have been forced to make. And using prose and verse to describe the horrors of the concentration camps and the war, it just made the story more worth reading. This book even inspired me to write poems about World War II myself! In shorter words, this book is powerful. I will never, NEVER, forget this story that was set in the most violent sides of humanity and madness.

Brief Review: The detail captured in Rose Under Fire is unbelievable but true. It showcases bravery, loyalty, hope and friendship in their truest forms in the face of pure evil and I believe it has done much justice to those who suffered in WWII. This book has made a taran, changing and flipping the lives of those who read it. If you want good AND true historical fiction, read Elizabeth Wein!

Final Rating: 5/5 'Totally Amazing'


QUOTE: 


This suits the book and the characters in it,

Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death---Omar N. Bradley

Your Reviewer:




2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this novel, I'm glad you thought it was good. Sometimes books can live up to the hype and even surpass it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover and it looks like a great read! I'll have to put in on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete