Saturday, May 11, 2013

An Interview with Debbie Dee

Picture

After reading The Last Witch by Debbie Dee, I completely fell in love with the book and the author. Another reassurance was after I read The Underground Witch which was just amazing! So I just asked in a shy way if I could do an interview with her and of course SHE SAID YES. YESSSSSSSS. I felt so excited when I made up the questions for the interview and even the author says she's never had so much fun before answering questions. So this was ultimately a SUCCESS. The answers she gave was funny and but one was a bit intense.

Me: When did your interest in writing start?


Debbie: I’m not like all those other cool authors who say they have wanted to write since the day they were born. I didn’t realize how fun writing could be until about four years ago. I had just watched the movie “The Bucket List” with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson and was so fascinated with the idea of making a list of goals for myself. I put some pretty goofy things on my list– “ride a camel,” “kiss a frog,” but I also included goals that I knew would take more effort. When I scribbled “write a book,” I chuckled a little because I didn’t think it was something I could accomplish while chasing three small children. A few weeks later, an idea came to me that wouldn’t leave me alone, and in the spirit of checking off an item on my bucket list, I jotted it down. Before long, I found myself sneaking away to write more and soon realized I had a new passion in my life.


Me: What was your dream career when you were a kid?


Debbie: I wish I could remember! How lame is that? I do remember telling my sisters that I was an exiled princess from another land. So, perhaps I had my sights set on being a princess. 


Me: What is the most common problem you have always faced when writing?


Debbie: I can never seem to find enough time to write, or at least enough time to satisfy my craving! 


Me: Are you a perfectionist?


Debbie: Haha! I would say yes, but my family would probably say no because I often let the dishes and laundry pile up when I’m in the middle of writing. Alright, alright, there have been several times when I didn’t make my bed for days, BUT in my defense, I wrote some of my best stuff during that time.


Me: How would you feel if any of your books were promoted to be a movie?


Debbie: I’ve always seen my stories like a movie in my head, so it would be very exciting for me to see it on the big screen. But, I think I’d also be terrified that the movie would be a total flop or that the script would go into some crazy direction that I didn’t agree with.


Me: Are you happy with what you've accomplished in writing so far?


Debbie: I am! I’ve had so much fun sharing Emmeline’s story with others, talking with fans, and visiting fabulous blogs like this one. I write because I enjoy telling a good story and I feel very fortunate that I’m able to go on this adventure.   


Me: What was your first inspiration for the Incenaga Witches trilogy?


Debbie: I get my best ideas in the morning. However, this is when I get my worst ideas too! One morning I dragged myself out of bed and Emmeline’s story popped into my mind. Literally, my head was a fuzzy morning mess and then suddenly, I imagined a girl in a frightening situation. I jotted the idea down, hoping that as the morning wore on, and I had a chance to wake up a little more, I would still think it was a good idea. Trust me, there have been plenty of times that I’ve laughed over my cheerios at an idea I considered brilliant only moments before. But Emmeline’s story passed the breakfast test, so to speak, and after a lot sleepless nights, The Last Witch was born. 


Me:  Where did you get the idea of O'fin from? (He's really cute!)


Debbie: I love O’fin! I based him off my little boy, Ethan, who is the cutest, sweetest kid I know. My youngest daughter couldn’t say Ethan’s name for the longest time so she just called him, Oh-fin.


Me:  If you could be a character in your books, who would it be and why?


Debbie: I have a novel set in ancient Egypt due out fall 2013 that has a main character I find very endearing – Tiy. She looks nothing like an Egyptian and is very self conscious about it, especially when she is invited to attend the royal school and is bullied by the rich Egyptian girls. But, the Pharaoh’s son is fascinated by her and welcomes her into his close circle of friends. I love the adventures she has with Egypt’s prince and that she remains true to herself even when everything around her is telling her she should be something different. 


Me: Which book did you find harder to write: The Last Witch or The Underground Witch?


Debbie: They were both fun to write, but the editing process for The Last Witch was more difficult for me. I had no idea how intensive editing could be,


Me: Any advice to those who like to write?


Debbie: Take classes, go to writers conferences, and don’t be afraid to let people critique your work. And have fun! 


Me:  Can you please tell us what is going to happen in the last book of the trilogy? Please?!?


Debbie: I’ll give you a few hints: The villain isn’t who you’ll expect, someone loses their memory, and one of my favorite characters dies.


Me: Do you have a way to help you when you encounter a writer's block?

  Debbie: I usually step away from whatever project I’m working on and do something else, often something not related to writing at all. So far, this has helped!

Me:  What do you always have with you when you are writing?


Debbie: Hmmm. Good question. Other than my laptop, my sweet little dog is the only other consistent thing with me while writing. He always finds a way to cuddle by me.  


Me: If you are given the chance to kidnap an author and talk to him or her, who would it be and why?


Debbie: Such fun questions! Assuming I wouldn’t go to prison for life, I’d have to kidnap Shannon Hale. I just love her work and her overall persona. If you haven’t been to one of her book signings yet, you should definitely go. She is so down-to-earth, hilarious, and friendly. I was so nervous to meet her, but she was nice as pie, in fact, she gave out free pie! I remember thinking that I wanted to be just as cool as her someday. 


You can find a review of The Last Witch here.

You can also find a review of The Underground Witch here.

The Underground Witch (Incenaga Trilogy, #2)









No comments:

Post a Comment